Canadian Work Placement Tax Refund for International Students in Canada


Completing your work placement in Canada is a pretty exciting experience – from the ski slopes to the exciting cities, to the tax refund you could be entitled to. Yes, you heard right.

International students who’ve completed their work placement in Canada in the last three years are due an average tax refund of $904. That’s right – customers get an average Canadian tax refund of $904. Already planning what you’re going to spend your refund on? Well keep reading on to find out how to get the maximum tax refund possible first!

Resident or non-resident?

Temporary workers fall into a different tax category than Canadian residents, which means you pay a different rate of tax in addition to having different tax benefits and entitlements than those of Canadian residents. Filing as a non-resident means you will usually get an even bigger tax refund and there are lots of things you can do, whether you’ve already done your placement or are just about to start, to make sure you get the biggest tax refund possible.

Keep your receipts

One of the most important things you can do to ensure you get a nice fat tax rebate is to make sure you keep as many of your receipts as you can. Transport receipts, receipts for work-related expenses such as uniforms or other materials and receipts for medical expenses all count. You can claim back the cost of all of these things.

Student entitlements

If you are a student, then make sure you keep all of your transport passes as you are entitled to claim the cost of them back. Also, if you took out a student loan then you can claim back the interest charged on the loan.

Working in Canada

If you were working during your time in Canada, then make sure you keep all of your pay slips and your T4 – the statement of earnings you receive at the end of the tax year, which runs from January 1st to December 31st. Even though your T4 will contain most of the information you need to apply for a tax refund, it can be useful to check the total tax payment on your T4 against the tax payments indicated on your pay slips.

At, we understand how daunting moving to a new country can be without having to then search endlessly for all the information you need about taxes, visas, CV tips, where to go, what to do. It’s overwhelming! If you don’t want to waste time searching for information on all the above, then check out these websites which will tell you everything you need to know:

  • has regular features on Canadian life, working in Canada, VISA information, tourist attractions and CV preparation.
  • offers advice on the moving process, accommodation, VISA issues and much more.
  • will help you with your taxes every step of the way, from applying for a SIN to applying for a tax refund, we’ve got you covered. With 32 offices around the world, you can apply for your tax refund with us even if you’re not in Canada anymore. What’s more is the fact that we offer 24/7 live help via our website, so wherever you are, you can get in touch. We’ll check your tax affairs and get everything in order to make sure you get the maximum tax refund possible, with our customers getting an average tax refund of $904.

To keep up with all the latest Canadian Tax News, follow us @taxbackcanada and like our Facebook page!

Contributed by:

Discussion1 Comment

Leave A Reply